I’M BUILDING A HEALTHY HOME!
You may have heard about people building ‘Green’? … the ‘Eco’ or ‘Environmentally Friendly’ tag-line has definitely mooched its way into our everyday vernacular like a robust earthworm, burrowed deep into our verdant veggie patches.
Recycled Products, VOC free paint, Energy Saving Light Globes … everyone wants to make better, healthier, environmentally friendly choices for our planet … right? But, have you ever wondered if these same choices are better, healthier and safer for your body too?
Our homes are made up of a gargantuan number of materials, construction methods, interior fittings, furnishings and electrical components. Some of these are ‘conventional’ and some are deemed ‘green’ … but a vast number of these items (whether they’re marketed as eco-friendly or not) can pose a health risk to you and your family.
Our bodies are constantly interacting with the environment, all of the day, all of the time … through the air we breathe, the foods we ingest, what comes into contact with our skin.
From the chemicals or fragrance in your washing powder, pesticides in automated room sprays, to the formaldehyde in wrinkle-free fabric treatments on bed sheets, to chlorine in your shower and drinking water. EVERYTHING ends up in your bloodstream within minutes.
Another factor which can also impact our health, are the Electro Magnetic Fields ‘EMF’ and Radio Frequencies ‘RF’ with which we surround ourselves.
WHAT ARE THE BIGGEST POTENTIAL TOXIC OFFENDERS?
Building Materials and Household Items that may ‘off-gas’ toxic chemicals like formaldehyde and Volitile Organic Compounds ‘VOCs’ (that we then inhale) …
- Paint and wallpaper.
- Carpet and Vinyl flooring.
- Plastics (furniture & appliances)
- Furniture and Cabinets (especially compressed wood products, particle-board and plywood)
- Finishes on floor/walls/ furniture (especially varnish, sealers, lacquer, adhesives)
- Finishes on fabrics (especially stain-guard and permanent-press/ wrinkle-free)
- Air fresheners and room fragrances.
- Cleaning products.
- Pest control treatments (flea bombs, aerosols, rooms prays, mothballs)
- Mattresses and Lounge chairs/sofas (fire-retardant & anti-microbial treatments)
Mould … Airborne mould spores and Mycotoxins which we breathe in from the air. Leaking pipes or roof, wet areas, basements, bathrooms, garden organic-matter decay.
Electrical … Electro Magnetic Fields which are emitted from internal wiring, power-points, appliances, electrical cords.
Radio frequencies … which are emitted from Mobile Phones, Cordless Phones, Wireless devices and WiFi and Blue Tooth technology.
Surrounding Environment …
- Overhead power lines
- Mobile Phone Towers
- Nearby pollution like car exhaust fumes, industrial waste, pesticide sprays (golf courses, parks, agricultural land)
Some of these toxic offenders above, that ‘off-gas’, can exude noxious fumes, chemicals and contaminants (some even odourless) for weeks, months, even years.
Latex/acrylic paint can off-gass for 2 years, new carpet can off-gass for 6-15 years and MDF and particle board, found in flat-pack kitchens, furniture and in building materials can continue to off-gass for up to 20 years. Proven respiratory irritants, carcinogenics, neurotoxins, immune & DNA disregulators … all this & more.
So, considering that the USA Environmental Protection Authority, now considers the INDOOR quality of our homes as the BIGGEST health risk of the 21st century/modern times, how does YOUR indoor air quality measure up?
Our homes should be our sanctuaries. A place of refuge and rejuvenation. A safe and healthy place to live, sleep, thrive and raise our family. But, has the health of our homes (and ultimately ourselves,) been overlooked in favour of convenience, cost, energy-ratings, aesthetics, the latest trend, or worse, ‘green-washing’ and ‘ECO’ marketing spin?
Even though the human body does a pretty amazing job at metabolising all sorts of toxins,with regard to many of the BIG TOXIC OFFENDERS located in our homes, the body just isn’t designed to deal with them … even in the healthiest of humans.
If the body becomes overwhelmed by the sheer volume of these environmental toxins, either by one large exposure or chronic long-term exposure, or if there is a genetic inability to efficiently metabolise or excrete these toxins, then that person’s health could be at risk.
In EI /MCS, sufferers are highly sensitised or ‘allergic’ to a large number of common chemical irritants and substances … these triggers are rampant in everyday building materials and interior fittings. This can make finding ‘Safe’ housing very difficult. In many cases, exposure to just a MINUTE amount can trigger HORRIBLE and disabling symptoms. Constant 24/7 exposure, can leave EI/MCS sufferers in a never-ending state of symptomatic distress, greatly impacting the quality of their lives, making their overall condition much much worse and in some cases, creating irreversible damage.
Many EI/MCS sufferers are forced from their homes in a desperate attempt to alleviate their disabling symptoms and daily suffering. Many sleep on their porches, in bathrooms, in cars, in tents far from civilisation. Unable to tolerate a friend’s house, hotel room, public housing or locate safe rental accommodation, MANY EI/MCS sufferers are permanently homeless.
In today’s modern world, Safe Housing, free from chemical toxins, irritants and excessive EMFs and RF Fields, can be close to impossible to find. But, in many cases, SAFE HOUSING CAN BE THE DECIDING FACTOR in whether EI/MCS suffers improve their health or even recover completely.
In the right environment, free from the constant onslaught of toxicant exposure, the body has an opportunity to find its feet, its equilibrium. Without the added daily load of toxic stress, in many cases, symptoms subside and healing can begin.
A healthy home becomes a critical component of treatment …A HEALTHY HOME becomes ESSENTIAL MEDICINE. Just as the wrong type of environment can harm, the RIGHT environment can heal.
Modifying existing housing can be challenging, purpose-built ‘safe’ housing can be expensive, and did I mention, unchartered territory? Traditionally trained builders and architects and material manufacturers are unawares and untrained. In addition, because each individual has unique tolerances & sensitivities, there is no one-size-fits-all instruction manual.
Enter my HEALTHY HOME
Featuring safe/ inert materials and specialised building methods, my compact, stylish, studio digs will be ‘green’ in a totally new way.
Friendly to the environment, but also friendly to me, my body, my health. A completely safe, low-toxin sanctuary for me to live in, thrive and heal.
A project like this needs heroes. Talented tradies, specialised materials, finances and a whole lot of determined spirit.
If you can assist in any way to make my dream healing-home a reality, I’d LOVE to hear from you!
Want to stay up to date with my Healthy Home project? Check out my blog & sign up to my email updates!